FoundationDB Summit 2019

Echoing FoundationDB Summit 2019 Program Announced here, the speaker schedule has been announced, and registration is now open! Please join us to hear our wonderful speakers share their experiences in using, running, and developing FoundationDB on November 18th in San Diego, California!

6 Likes

I have a question regarding the registration to the event. The registration page says:

All attendees, including speakers and staff, must be registered for KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America 2019.

Going through the registration, the fee is then $1250 for kubekon + $199 for the fdb summit itself… which is a lot more than I was expecting from last year. Am I missing something? We only intend to attend the fdb summit itself, NOT the full kubekon convention itself. Is there a separate link somewhere to only register to the fdb summit?

I will not be able to justify paying $1500 + travel and hotel fees per person, for a single day… :frowning:

If anyone else is also impacted by the required KubeCon registration, please drop me a message. We’d like to try to make sure that anyone interested in attending the FDB Summit is able to do so. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This process has been formalized, so anyone that is unable to attend due to the registration cost, please apply for the Community Sponsorship.

1 Like

This year the talks will be recorded? :slight_smile:

The talks should be recorded and published (modulo any specific speaker or company objections to their own talks being published).

1 Like

Any recommendations for things to do/visit in San Diego on Sunday for people coming in early?

San Diego is the craft beer capital - so if you’re into that you have a ton of options (Stone is one of the oldest one and has a few nice locations in the city, Modern Times is my personal favorite). Also make sure to get some Mexican food while you’re in San Diego.

The Old Town in San Diego is a classical tourist spot. Cabrillo National Monument is a nice spot where you get a good view of the city and the ocean. I also like the Gaslamp Quarter for like just walking around (this one is close to the conference center). There are also some nice little cities up the coast (Oceanside is a nice little surfer town, Encinitas and Carlsbad have tons of small breweries, small shops etc - it’s imho awesome to just go there and stroll around). Liberty Station is also worth a short visit.

Balboa Park is pretty nice (and the weather is good). You can walk around or rent a bike. There’s also several good museums there and a semi-famous zoo (although I’ve never been to the zoo - so don’t know whether that is worth a visit)

3 Likes

Great work guys and thanks for getting the slides up for the people who could not attend. Looking forward to some of the videos to help fill in the gaps.

Video published on HN and lobsters

Do you have the record layer video as mentioned here - FoundationDB Summit 2019: FoundationDB Record Layer: Open Source Structured Storage on FoundationDB?