Connecting to the database using `fdbcli` results in an error

I have successfully managed foundationDB to run on kubernetes with redundancy_mode single and all the pods (4 pods) are running fine. Now the first problem is the name of the pods are in below format, as you can say we dont actually get to know which component of foundationDB that pod is

foundationdbcluster-sample-1                   2/2     Running   0          15h
foundationdbcluster-sample-2                   2/2     Running   0          15h
foundationdbcluster-sample-3                   2/2     Running   0          15h
foundationdbcluster-sample-4                   2/2     Running   0          15h

another issue that I facing is when I EXEC into a pod and try to access the fdbcli I get below error

root@foundationdbcluster-sample-1:/var/dynamic-conf# fdbcli
Using cluster file `/var/dynamic-conf/fdb.cluster'.

The database is unavailable; type `status' for more information.

Welcome to the fdbcli. For help, type `help'.
fdb> 

Here we can see that the database is unavailable, and thats why when we try to run another command in fdbcli we get below error

fdb> writemode on
fdb> set name vivek

WARNING: Long delay (Ctrl-C to interrupt)

Now if i go ahead and try to configure the new database using the command configure new ssd single below is the output that I get

fdb> configure new ssd single

WARNING: Long delay (Ctrl-C to interrupt)

My question is how to go about setting up new database. Below is the content of the /var/dynamic-conf/fdb.cluster

root@foundationdbcluster-sample-1:/var/dynamic-conf# more fdb.cluster 
foundationdbcluster_sample:56TI2smTyVsGd5Xav0yu99ZAMPTA7z7s@10.244.0.16:4500:tls
root@foundationdbcluster-sample-1:/var/dynamic-conf#      
root@foundationdbcluster-sample-1:/var/dynamic-conf# more fdbmonitor.conf 
[general]
kill_on_configuration_change = false
restart_delay = 60
[fdbserver.1]
command = /var/dynamic-conf/bin/6.2.11/fdbserver
cluster_file = /var/fdb/data/fdb.cluster
seed_cluster_file = /var/dynamic-conf/fdb.cluster
public_address = 10.244.0.20:4500:tls
class = storage
datadir = /var/fdb/data
logdir = /var/log/fdb-trace-logs
loggroup = foundationdbcluster-sample
locality_instance_id = 1
locality_machineid = foundationdbcluster-sample-1
locality_zoneid = foundationdbcluster-sample-1
knob_disable_posix_kernel_aio=1

This seems to work if I create the cluster using double redundancy_mode. I am creating the local cluster using this file.

Now the first problem is the name of the pods are in below format, as you can say we dont actually get to know which component of foundationDB that pod is

All of the pods are running fdbserver processes. I’ve been thinking about some changes to the name format to clarify what role they’re serving and make the instance IDs more consistent. I’ll file an issue on that today.

another issue that I facing is when I EXEC into a pod and try to access the fdbcli I get below error

The operator should create the initial database configuration for you. If you want to change it, you can run configure ssd single, but it’s better to do that by editing the spec in Kubernetes and letting the operator roll out the new configuration.

Can you run kubectl describe foundationdbcluster foundationdbcluster-sample and see if the describe output indicates that the cluster has been created successfully? The status will indicate whether the cluster has been successfully reconciled, and will have events for the major stages of reconciliation, including each attempt to configure the database. It’s possible that the configuration command is failing.

There will also be trace logs in /var/log/fdb-trace-logs. Those logs may provide more information about connection errors, TLS errors, or something else that’s preventing the configuration from working.

What kind of Kubernetes environment are you using for these tests?

Hi @john_brownlee
I am not pretty sure about the CR status when I created the cluster using redundancy_mode as single but now I have changed that to be double and things seem to be working as of now. There are chances that I will have to run this in single redundancy_mode again, and I will update that here if I face any issues.
I am testing these things on a cluster that is provisioned through Kind.

OK. I’ll try reproducing this problem in my local environment. I haven’t done much testing with a single replication config, since it’s not a configuration we use here, but if you have a use case for it we should be able to support it. The only hard blocker with that I’m aware of is that any change that requires recreating pods would take the database unavailable, because we would lose the only coordinator. We could address that by using more coordinators in single replication mode, or by adding an option to handle those kind of updates by replacing the old pods rather than deleting and recreating them.

Hi @john_brownlee
yeah the problem of losing the coordinator makes sense to me now. But as of now I am going ahead with the double redundancy mode and will update here if I have to get the things working with single redundancy mode.

Hi @john_brownlee
So, I observed a pattern here, even if we run the cluster in double redundancy mode the pods get the running state but when we exec into the pod to access the fdbcli we get below errors for some time.
Either

Unexpected error loading cluster file `/var/dynamic-conf/fdb.cluster': 1513 File could not be read

or

and after some time we get database is available message and are able to access the database

The database is available.

This doesnt happen in the case if we are running foundationDB as single redundancy mode, in that we just keep getting below error message forever

fdb> 

I hope this would help you debug this issue further.

Are you able to see logs from the operator, or the describe output from kubectl? The first case looks like it hasn’t completed reconciliation.