High commit latency probe

Hi all! I’m trying configure FDB for deployment in cloud.
I have:

• 3 availability zone, with latency between each 20ms.
  • 2 machine C4-16G = 1 x logs + 1 x storage + 2 x stateless in each zone
  • triple redundancy mode

As result status return commit latency probe equal 20ms. If I deploy only in one zone, it will be 1-2ms.

How should I configure deployment for all zones and reduce latency?

Mode ‘triple’ means log replicas are three, only when three log replicas are all written to each zone then the commit is successful. so it would be 20ms at least.

Do I understand correctly that only a multi-region configuration can reduce latency? In this case, the solution is to use a single availability zone.

From manual:

FoundationDB attempts to replicate data across three datacenters and will stay up with only two available. Data is replicated 6 times. Transaction logs are stored in the same configuration as the three_data_hall mode, so commit latencies are tied to the latency between datacenters.

Are all redundancy modes dependent on latency between zones/halls/DCs, and is async replication only available for a multi-region configuration?

Deploy your servers in a single availability zone and choose double/triple redundancy unless you need a higher redundancy level.

Are all redundancy modes dependent on latency between zones/halls/DCs, and is async replication only available for a multi-region configuration?

A higher level of redundancy will distribute replicas across DCs/regions, so the latency will be higher.

Async replication can avoid high latency between regions and failover, and it looks like satellite/satellite_logs/satellite_logs can only be configured in multi-region redundancy.

1 Like