How to complie and debug FDB (on mac os)?

Hi there ! Excited to see FDB open source .
Unfortunately I could not compile the code that I cloned to the local (after some tries).
Is there any instructions on how to debug the FDB (on mac )?
The Repo is a bit short description on how to compiling and debuging.
Thanks in advance !

I have some experience building FDB on macs. Can you post anything about the problems you’ve had or the errors you’ve encountered? I may be able to help.

I’m also trying to build from source on my mac but was running into some issues with the python bindings.

I’m trying to build foundationdb from source on Mac, but running into an error in “fdb_python_check”

$ make
Checking       hgVersion.h
Checking       fdb_python
bindings/python/fdb/impl.py:1525:38: W606 'async' and 'await' are reserved keywords starting with Python 3.7
bindings/python/fdb/impl.py:1525:68: W606 'async' and 'await' are reserved keywords starting with Python 3.7
bindings/python/fdb/impl.py:1526:38: W606 'async' and 'await' are reserved keywords starting with Python 3.7
bindings/python/fdb/impl.py:1529:38: W606 'async' and 'await' are reserved keywords starting with Python 3.7
bindings/python/fdb/impl.py:1532:60: W606 'async' and 'await' are reserved keywords starting with Python 3.7
make: *** [fdb_python_check] Error 1

I’ve installed the listed requirements:

• Java 8
  • Mono
  • Boost

But wasn’t sure if there were specific Python version requirements.

$ python -V
Python 2.7.14

Ah, nice. It looks like our python style checker has found something! That would be a great issue or PR. I guess they added a new warning or something, and we should probably fix this.

We do offer a compiled Python package on our download page. (It is not available on PyPI at this time. Sorry.) You can also disable the check by either:

1. Removing fdb_python_check from the dependency list of fdb_python in the Python local makefile (line 32).
  2. Suppressing ‘W606’ from the warning check by adding it to the “ignore” list of setup.cfg.

Neither one of those are probably the right thing to do long term, but hopefully, it is enough to get you unstuck.

thanks !
I follow the repo instruction :
1.make $BOOOSTDIR for boost 1.52.0
2.download and install mono (vistual studio channel on)
3. run make
then :
MacBook-Pro:foundationdb xiejk$ pwd
/Users/xiejk/work/goproject/src/github.com/foundationdb
MacBook-Pro:foundationdb xiejk$ make
Makefile:145: flow/actorcompiler/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: flow/coveragetool/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbclient/vexillographer/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: flow/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbrpc/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbclient/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbbackup/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbserver/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbcli/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: bindings/c/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: bindings/java/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: fdbmonitor/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: bindings/flow/tester/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: bindings/flow/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Makefile:145: FDBLibTLS/generated.mk: No such file or directory
Creating FDBLibTLS/generated.mk
Creating bindings/flow/generated.mk
Creating bindings/flow/tester/generated.mk
Creating fdbmonitor/generated.mk
Creating bindings/java/generated.mk
Creating bindings/c/generated.mk
Creating fdbcli/generated.mk
Creating fdbserver/generated.mk
Creating fdbbackup/generated.mk
Creating fdbclient/generated.mk
Creating fdbrpc/generated.mk
Creating flow/generated.mk
Creating fdbclient/vexillographer/generated.mk
Creating flow/coveragetool/generated.mk
Creating flow/actorcompiler/generated.mk
Building bin/actorcompiler.exe
make: /usr/bin/dmcs: No such file or directory
make: *** [bin/actorcompiler.exe] Error 1

and this is only the make stage .
I still do not know how to debug it .
PS:
use which ide and set what parameters

That appears to be an issue with our use of mono. Try changing line 18 of the Makefile to MCS := $(shell which mcs) (instead of dmcs). I believe that mcs is the preferred tool for newer versions of mono. This might be a good PR, too, if that fixes it, but, if I’m honest, I’m not an expert on what’s doing with the mono project at the moment.

thanks for hint .
fixed it .
use export PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/bin/:${PATH}
seems after installing mono the default bin file not located in /usr/bin
But another error occurs:
fdbserver/OldTLogServer.actor.cpp:439:4: error: ‘~LogData’ has a non-throwing exception specification but can still throw [-Werror,-Wexceptions]
ASSERT(tLogData->bytesDurable <= tLogData->bytesInput);
^
./flow/Error.h:84:81: note: expanded from macro ‘ASSERT’
#define ASSERT( condition ) if (!((condition) || isAssertDisabled(LINE))) { throw internal_error(); }
^
fdbserver/OldTLogServer.actor.cpp:435:3: note: destructor has a implicit non-throwing exception specification
~LogData() {
^
1 error generated.
make: *** [.objs/fdbserver/OldTLogServer.actor.g.cpp.o] Error 1

I believe that this is the same problem that is raised in issue #207. GitHub user spullara suggests that it has something to do with a newer version of clang turning a warning into an error, and he has a proposed patch to get you unstuck.

Good to know . thanks !

A fix to which I just merged. (Thanks @schafdog!)

Hi everyone.
I’m from Wavefront team.
I have just cloned FoundationDB from master, but couldn’t compile it. It shows this error

Compiling fdbrpc/TLSConnection.actor.g.cpp
fdbrpc/TLSConnection.actor.cpp:363:16: error: passing an object that undergoes default argument promotion to ‘va_start’ has undefined behavior [-Werror,-Wvarargs]
va_start( ap, is_error );
^
fdbrpc/TLSConnection.actor.cpp:348:74: note: parameter of type ‘bool’ is declared here
static void TLSConnectionLogFunc( const char* event, void* uid_ptr, bool is_error, … ) {
^
1 error generated.
make: *** [.objs/fdbrpc/TLSConnection.actor.g.cpp.o] Error 1

My OS is macOS and I have all requirements(boost, xcode, mono, jdk).

Can you help me to figure out the error and compile it?

Regards,
Harutyun H.

If you aren’t interested in working through all of the warnings-turned-errors, then I’d suggest just removing the -Werror from the Makefile and building.

But be cautioned that running on MacOS isn’t a thing that’s done frequently, and there’s signs that it might need some love. A previous MacOS thread suggests that simulation is probably still crashing, which means actually doing development on MacOS would first require fixing simulation, and there’s a bug report open for crashes in fdbcli as well.

I’d suggest building and developing via Docker for Mac with the provided Dockerfile.

1 Like