Ruby bindings do not install, incorrect gemfile

Hi all - tried to open an issue, but the repo is locked to collaborators. Anywho, the Ruby bindings (fdb gem) do not install, and I suspect it has been an issue since cmake began compiling the gem in 2019 (link omitted because according to the forum, “New users can only add two links to a post”, lol).

The specific error when you try to gem install fdb is:

Gem::Package::PathError: installing into parent path /home/foundationdb_ci/src/oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo/foundationdb/LICENSE of /Users/andrew/.rbenv/versions/3.2.1/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/fdb-7.2.2 is not allowed

I believe this is because the files array is specifying things like ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/LICENSE. If I download the gem file manually and unpack it, we can see that the included metadata.gz file specifies absolute paths, like:

files:
- "/home/foundationdb_ci/src/oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo/foundationdb/LICENSE"

Whereas the files array from a gem that installs correctly looks more like:

files:
- CONTRIBUTING.md
- Gemfile
- LICENSE.txt
- README.md
- Rakefile
- TODO.md
- debug.gemspec
- exe/rdbg
- ext/debug/debug.c
- ext/debug/extconf.rb

Note the use of relative paths. I am not familiar with the CI setup of foundationdb nor with building gemspecs with cmake, but I believe that the fix is as simple as specifying files in the same manner as the non-cmake gemspec version.

I would open a PR to correct it, but - repo is locked. :upside_down_face:

Thanks! We’ll open the repo for PRs later. In the meantime, can you post the link for your change, e.g., something like https://github.com/apple/foundationdb/compare/main...mavenraven:jemalloc-header-fix?expand=1? Then we can create the PR for it.

Definitely - here’s a link for the gem fix. It was a little more involved than I thought - like the python bindings, I needed to copy things into place in the build directory. I will admit that I’m not incredibly familiar with C build systems, and so I don’t know if this the best way to do things (I basically copied things from the python cmake files): Comparing apple:main...ahayworth:ahayworth/fix-ruby-binding-build · apple/foundationdb · GitHub

I figured that I should actually test the gem, and then learned that the gem won’t actually load on non-x86 machines! I loosened the restriction to allow arm64 as well, and it seemed to work just fine in case you’d like to take that change as well: Comparing apple:main...ahayworth:ahayworth/ruby-arm64 · apple/foundationdb · GitHub

I didn’t test the arm64 change in any thorough way, but it did at least allow me to set and retrieve a key.

Thanks! I’ve opened two PRs with your fixes.

Fantastic, thanks so much!

Has this been released? I’m still seeing this happen on gem 'fdb', '7.2.5', which would seem to include this patch given https://github.com/apple/foundationdb/pull/9732