Is there any plan to support data at rest encryption in FDB?

Currently, FDB does not seem to support data at rest (the stored data on file) encryption. Is there any plan to support this feature?

There are some discussions about this topic before, which is complicated because of utility (who needs it), technicality (key management, API changes, performance), and resource (who implements it). Right now, there is no plan for this feature.

Yes, the work to add FDB native encryption data at-rest is in-progress. Please follow FDB native Encryption data at-rest for more details.

Thanks

FDB 71.3 (Snowflake release) enables Encryption at-Rest feature support for FDB. Please follow the https://github.com/apple/foundationdb/blob/main/design/encryption-data-at-rest.md for details and/or reach out to me for any issues/concerns etc.
Thanks

@aehusain - We are currently running FoundationDB 7.1. We have been waiting for a stable release version of 7.2 (non-snowflake release) with tenant level encryption at rest support, any idea when that will happen?

@biswas-adobe I need to update myself with the release schedule for non-Snowflake release. Shall find details and get back to this forum soon.

Best Regards

More details: recommendation from @jzhou is to wait for “7.4” or “8.0” stable release. “7.3” was cut back in May 2023, but since then there has been some critical bug-fixes done that might be missing.

Thanks

Thank you @aehusain @jzhou - any rough timelines for 7.4 or 8.0 stable release? It will help us plan accordingly.

We don’t have a concrete plan for next stable release yet. Roughly I’d expect cutting the release in Q4 this year, and then a few months for official production releases.