Performance Regression with 6.2.15

We recently upgraded a cluster from 5.2.x to 6.2.x (6.2.7 then 6.2.15) and since we use the memory engine extensively (as well as the SSD engine), we noticed the following happening:

• mem tier FDBCLI Latency increases 2-3x across all mem shards
  • TCP TIME_WAIT increases across all instances
  • mem tier Storage CPU increases 2x across all nodes
  • mem tier Transaction CPU decreases by almost 2x across all mem shards (this is likely due to memory-2)
  • ssd tier Storage CPU increases 2x
  • ssd tier Transaction CPU decreases by almost 3x
  • ssd and mem Master/CC CPU usage decreases by ~0.5x (likely from the JSON serialization improvements)

The most alarming aspect of the upgrade is that the cpu time on storage servers increased significantly. It’s showing patterns of hot spots whereby a subset of processes would be pegged at 5s while others are fine. This behavior, however, simply shifts between different storage processes (so there’s always some SS that are deemed unreachable because of their CPU load).

From what I can tell, memory-1 and memory-2 shares the same underlying storage so my hunch is that something changed in data distribution such that perhaps it is now either splitting or merging too aggressively.

1 Like

For a visual look at what is going on pre/post upgrade in terms of SS CPU in a test cluster (note that we have dedicated processes for master/CC/logs/proxies/resolvers so these are just SS role processes):

Did this happen after upgrading from 5.2 or 6.2.7? Is the cluster done doing the machine team rebalancing that we discussed here? Constantly repartitioning (under no load) and moving large volumes of data

There were some data distribution changes in recent patch releases, so if you have a lot of movement that’s not machine team work and wasn’t there before, that would be interesting. You could check the MovingData event, which lists movements queued by priority and can tell you what type of movements you’re doing now.

This happened after we upgraded from 5.2 to 6.2.7
We didn’t see changes in data movement for memory storage engine, the following chart measures the total number of in-flight bytes and in-queue bytes

Hm, I discovery is that the SS nodes are now assigned the proxy role (for those that are hot). There must be a new change in how roles are assigned (need to check the code to see, we did not change the number of transaction class processes in the cluster).

So some details about this test cluster, we have 14/14/29 (P/R/L) set and we have 58 processes with class=transaction (hence all should fit and every machine has at least 2 of these processes). In the past that would be the case where the P/R/L would be kept on those processes (unless P/R now biases torwards processes and not on class=transaction processes and would prefer storage over transaction class processes).

Are you using the storage class for the storage servers, or are you not setting a class?

Ah, they are unset. So per Roles / Classes matrix, Unset is better than Okay so that’s why it’s now there. That’s a change from 5.x then I suppose.

I looked into it, and it appears this did change between 5.2 and 6.0. As far as I can tell, though, it’s not documented even in the release notes, which is a bit of an oversight. The other natural place for something like this to go is in the upgrade notes: https://apple.github.io/foundationdb/administration.html#upgrading-from-5-2-x.

I’ve created an issue to add this change to the documentation:

Should it prefer them? Why not revert this change?

1 Like