Using official Docker image

Hi Guys,

I have been playing with the recently posted official Docker image and wanted to get clarification on certain details. Thanks in advance.

• It seems that this Docker image runs fdbserver directly without fdbmonitor. Is there any specific reason for not launching foundationDB via fdbmonitor?

• Without fdbmonitor daemon running, how could we handle backup_agent for periodic backups? Are we supposed to trigger those agents manually?

1 Like

I think both your questions kind of boil down to that the posted docker image was converted from an image used for testing (e.g. docker-compose) and not specifically crafted for a production deployment. This wasn’t done intentionally, only that we don’t have the knowledge or experience in running docker-based storage services to make something productionized, and the previous attempt at doing so (#355) stalled out.

The lack of fdbmonitor will also potentially make cluster-wide restarts for upgrades more difficult, if it’s being used for a production use case. I’ve also been told though that orchestration systems prefer having the service be directly executed, because then they have better knowledge of if/when it dies.

For the backup agent, you’d currently need to either launch it separately or create a similar docker image that runs the backup agent. Suggestions/advice/feedback/etc. on all of this is very welcome.

I missed that @john_brownlee responded on the issue you filed instead. I’ll copy it here, as he did the work so his answer is more accurate than mine:

I decided not to use fdbmonitor in the interest of having each container run as few things as possible. For running backup agents, I think that the best approach would be to run a separate container for them. I think the main advantage that fdbmonitor would provide in a dockerized environment would be to support bouncing the fdbserver processes in a fast and coordinated way to pick up new arguments or (especially) to upgrade FoundationDB. Doing that would require a way to change the monitor conf file without bouncing the container, and that will likely depend on features that are specific to a deployment platform, so I figured they were out of the scope of the initial work.