Foundation DB upgrade path

We are running foundationdb-server-6.2.28-1.el7.x86_64.rpm currently. can we directly upgade to the latest foundationdb-server-7.1.25-1.el7.x86_64.rpm.

if not what is the upgrade path ? the upgrade documentation page is slightly confusing and not sure if we can upgrade from 6.2 to 7

Yes a direct upgrade from 6.2 to 7.1 is possible.

where can we download 7.x binaries ? this link shows only 6.3
https://apple.github.io/foundationdb/downloads.html#client-server-packages

thanks, is it rolling upgrade ?
i see that during upgrade the database is unavailabe, i am testing on 3 node cluster
also can we directly go to 7.2 version from 6.2 ?

thanks, is it rolling upgrade ?

FDB doesn’t support rolling updates (at least not for major and minor updates), since the versions are not version compatible and you have to upgrade/restart all fdbserver processes “at once”.

i see that during upgrade the database is unavailabe, i am testing on 3 node cluster

Since we have to restart all fdbserver processes at once, it’s expected to have a short unavailability (those are normally not noticed by the users of the cluster and transactions would be retried).

ok, can we go directly to 7.2 from 6.2

can we directly upgrade to 7.2 from 6.2.

can we directly upgrade to 7.2 from 6.2.

I’m not sure if that’s supported but you could try that with a test cluster (e.g. created with the fdb kubernetes operator GitHub - FoundationDB/fdb-kubernetes-operator: A kubernetes operator for FoundationDB) and report back here.

i tried in my own test cluster upgrating from 6.2.2.8 ==>7.2 and the upgrade worked fine. when i do status details the db is available. i am not sure what else to validate ,any logs ? how confidently we can do this in production ?

what is the downgrade procedure from 7.2 to 6.2 ? any idea