Installing bindings with Go modules

(Ryan Worl) #1

I’ve followed the instructions in the repo for installing the Go bindings:

I just cloned master fresh and did not change to any specific branch or tag.

./fdb-go-install.sh install --fdbver 6.0.18

That goes fine (or so it appears) and gives me the CGO flags for compiling.

I add the bindings to my imports, and then I tried to build and I get this compile error:

# github.com/apple/foundationdb/bindings/go/src/fdb
In file included from ../../go/pkg/mod/github.com/apple/foundationdb/bindings/go@v0.0.0-20190222233508-fb9b5e05fda2/src/fdb/cluster.go:27:
/Users/ryanworl/go/src/github.com/apple/foundationdb/bindings/c/foundationdb/fdb_c.h:35:2: error: Requested API version requires a newer version of this header
#error Requested API version requires a newer version of this header
 ^
1 error generated.
/*

#define FDB_API_VERSION 610

#include <foundationdb/fdb_c.h>

*/

There’s the snippet from cluster.go in the bindings.

#if !defined(FDB_API_VERSION)

#error You must #define FDB_API_VERSION prior to including fdb_c.h (current version is 600)

#elif FDB_API_VERSION < 13

#error API version no longer supported (upgrade to 13)

#elif FDB_API_VERSION > 600

#error Requested API version requires a newer version of this header

#endif

There’s the relevant contents of fdb_c.h

You can see the mis-matched versions in the .h file vs what the generated go is expecting.

Now I know that if I bang my head against this enough I can figure it out since I’ve had to change the Node bindings a few times, but I feel like I’m missing something here.

Do the bindings just not work with Go modules right now?

(Seph Gentle) #2

Sorry about this. I’ve just made it so you can pass an optional header version override into fdb.setAPIVersion(version, header_version?) to get around this problem if you’re using a version of FDB older than what I’ve hardcoded for FDB_API_VERSION (currently 600). Eg, fdb.setAPIVersion(520, 520) works.

I still have no idea what the best practices should be.

(Ryan Worl) #3

No, this wasn’t something that was your doing at all! I was adding features I needed for a project before you had a chance to get to them. Node bindings are great. :+1:

(Illarionov Oleg) #4

By the way, is there any plans to make Go bindings embedded to the binary (without extended library)?

(Vasiliy Popkov) #5

we use (go mod on)
go get github.com/apple/foundationdb/bindings/go@release-6.0
and install client
https://www.foundationdb.org/download/