Upgrade FoundationDB with Binaries (not RPM) to avoid downtime ---Binaries to Download missing?

I have this discussion (Upgrading FDB in PROD) on how to upgrade FoundationDB using binaries .

One question I still have is when I did RPM install I can see /bin/fdbrestore , /bin/fdbdr and monitor configuration file using following entry for the backup so backup_agent binaries.
command = /usr/lib/foundationdb/backup_agent/backup_agent”

Does anyone know where or how I can get the latest binaries for fdbrestore and fdbdr and backup_agent if not using RPM method. If I dont upgrade to the latest version I might be using old backup/restore ? Please note we can download fdbbackup binaries so I can use those but not clear what to do about backup_agent.

fdbdr, backup_agent, and fdbrestore are symbolic links to fdbbackup. When fdbbackup starts it decides how to behave by looking at args[0] (you can find the logic here).

An alternative to shipping a bunch of binaries you could also use the versioned RPMS (I think they are not offered for download, but you can easily build them using our docker image and cpack). The versioned RPM will install in /usr/lib/foundationdb-${VERSION} and then you can use update-alternatives to change the version used. This is the approach that Snowflake uses.

Thanks first for the help. I do see softlink from fdbrestre/fdbdr/fdbbackup to backup_agent and not fdbbackup binaries. I don’t see any download for backup_agent but do see download for fdbbackup binaries so not sure how to handle it .

[root@ip-10-49-74-10 centos]# ls -ltr /usr/bin | grep fdb
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 9352576 Oct 24 2019 fdbcli
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 45 Jan 3 08:17 fdbbackup → …/lib/foundationdb/backup_agent/backup_agent
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 45 Jan 3 08:17 fdbrestore → …/lib/foundationdb/backup_agent/backup_agent
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 45 Jan 3 08:17 fdbdr → …/lib/foundationdb/backup_agent/backup_agent

If anyone can help please …

In short it is still not clear if we download binaries to setup FDB where we will download backup agent process from as configuration file use the following setup

[backup_agent]
command = /usr/lib/foundationdb/backup_agent/backup_agent

I don’t understand the problem: fdbdr, fdbbackup, fdbrestore, and backup_agent are all compiled into the same binary. You can solve your problem in multiple ways: you can also download fdbbackup and then copy it to backup_agent and now you have a backup_agent binary (a symbolic link uses less disk space, but the result will be the same

Initially when I read all the document and forum links it was not clear that I can download fdbbackup binaries and create softlink for fdbrestore/fdbdr/backup_agent but now I am clear and will do the same. Thanks for the help .